Tuesday, August 23, 2011

On the way to Montreal, 8/22/11

I just finished dinner at sea. Tonight was taco night and I was very impressed. In addition to all kinds of taco fixings, there were enchiladas, quesadillas, chicken mole' and flan. It was delicious.  I will certainly not starve to death on this journey!  I started the morning with a yoga class.  Yoga is something I encourage my patients to do, but rarely make time for in my own life. It's a wonderful thing to do in so many regards, but I'm here to tell you that the balancing poses are especially difficult on a rocking ship!  Speaking of rocking ships, the seasickness patches were out in force today.  Some people looked downright miserable. Jeff and the kids have been fine so far and I've only had one "episode" of short-lived, mild nausea.  I hope this means we'll all escape seasickness.

Today was my first official day of training.  The entire faculty and staff met in the morning for some general "community building."  After lunch I met with the rest of the medical team, the administrative dean, some medical consultants in charge of the ship, and the captain of the ship. We discussed things such as the procedures for handling drunk kids and the responsibilities of each person. It seems that throughout the years many of the kinks have been worked out and that the medical team functions pretty smoothly.  I guess I'll find out as soon as I really have to start working.

We left the port in Boston last night at 9 pm. It was so exciting to be tugged out into the ocean to begin our journey.  I slept like a baby on the rocking ship and plan to do so again tonight. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that the food is good! Maybe you can gain some weight and thee cold won't be so bad either!!! snady