Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Crossing the Atlantic Ocean


Here we are, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.  So far the seas have not been terribly rough, although we have had some 8-foot swells.  It's funny to watch people trying to walk a straight line down the halls and weaving back and forth or running into walls.  No injuries so far.  I think more and more people have developed their "sea legs" because I'm seeing fewer people with patches behind their ears. I was very nearly vomitted on once but managed to escape that trauma.

The medical clinic has been fairly uneventful, I'm happy to say.  I've seen a couple of unusual things, but mostly it's the standard stuff I'm used to dealing with.  Dr. Sloane, the doctor that hired me and is sharing duties with me, is very nice.  We have clinic for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon, and then one of us is on call.  It seems to work out ok most of the time.  Somehow, I continue to have trouble carving out any free time.  I've yet to even open the cover on my kindle, but plan to make that happen soon.  I've been trying to fit in a workout daily in the small, but adequate workout room, or with the P90X training program I brought.  Jeff is in charge of schooling the kids, but I try to be there to help if needed.  I've also been sitting in on a comparative religions class (fascinating stuff, in my opinion), and on the mandatory Global Studies class.  It's fun to be back in college classes without the stress of needing to complete papers or tests.  Tonight I will be speaking to a group of interested students about the Baha'i' Faith.  I haven't done many introductory presentations on the Baha'i' Faith and hope I can do justice to this amazing, transforming, emerging global religion.

2 comments:

Harriette said...

Your classes sound fascinating, and I'm interested to hear how your talk about the Bahai faith was received. Have fun in Morocco! Love, Harriette

Heidi said...

It turns out that lots of people are interested in learning more about the Baha'i' Faith. I think many people want to see the inhabitants of our planet more unified and are looking for ways to promote that unity.