Sunday, October 2, 2011

9/30/11 The Piano Bar, M.V. Explorer


I'm sitting here in the piano lounge listening to the spouse of one of the professors brilliantly play the piano (he used to be a professional musician).  Other people are playing chess, writing in their journals, studying, or chatting with their friends.  It is really lovely, to quote one of my new South African friends.  I must leave in a few minutes to meet a patient in the clinic who fractured his proximal humerus and dislocated his shoulder in a bicycling accident in South Africa.  He was treated by an orthopedist at the hospital in Cape Town, but needs a little help managing the pain, as expected.  The clinic has been quite busy recently, mostly with viral upper respiratory illnesses, but a good variety of other minor stuff.  The clinic is interesting because it's small, and therefore, we are on top of each other all the time.  There is only one room with meds in it, and a different room with the strep tests, etc.  If I need something in the room that Dr. Sloane is in, I have to interrupt, and vise versa.  Somehow, we manage to make it work.  It's been a fun job so far, and I pray it stays that way.

No comments: